When a team member is called into the military (not National Guard unless for at least 90
days), he/she may be replaced provided the replacement player meets all eligibility requirements. This refers to those players leaving for service after the roster has been submitted. No player may be added after the designated deadline.
*Footnote: Unrestricted men’s fast pitch players can play in the men’s major national tournament and in their own state division of play within the same year. Likewise, slow pitch men can play in the “A” National and in their own division that same year. Also, slopitch teams may use up to 3 “Add Ons”.
1. A player who was not a regular on a slow pitch team the previous year and who was on the State tournament roster may apply in writing to the Executive Committee to be reclassified. Reclassification is not automatic and must be approved by the Executive Committee.
2. Except for Men’s Fast Pitch, state tournament participants are not allowed to play in a lower classification the following year without permission of the Executive Committee. EXCEPTIONS: For fastpitch, see #4 below. For slopitch, see III-A-3 on page 11.
3. No more than five players who have been reclassified may join any one team in a given year. Exception: If any one team is reclassified after a six-month or one-year review, the players may compete on that team. BUT no more than five players could go to another team. Teams forced to advance and then reapply for reclassification is covered in another section. If player was over 40, the team could appeal for up to two additional players.
4. Fast Pitch Classification
a. Only pitchers are classified for all Men’s Illinois ASA State Invitational Tournament
games. If ASA Championship Play Tourneys are held, these guidelines are in effect.
i. Major (“AA”) and Class “A” players who made All-American the previous year
cannot play in “B” or “C”.
ii. Players that are on a team (except non-regulars) that win another organizations National Tournament must play Major or “A” in Illinois ASA Championship Play the following season.
b. All pitchers shall retain the same classification they held at the conclusion of the 2015
season unless they are granted reclassification by the Illinois ASA Executive Committee or the National Office.
c. Request for pitcher reclassification will be acted upon by the Executive Committee in
December or the Commissioner’s Council Meeting in March or no later than June 15, 2016. NOTE: National Office now classifies ALL players.
d. Pitchers are allowed to drop only one level of classification each year. Example: With approval from Executive Committee, pitchers can drop from “AA” to “A” in 2015, then with approval can drop to “B” in 2016.
5. A former professional athlete or suspended athlete may apply for reclassification at any time. However, if approved, he would not be eligible if the application was received after the roster deadline of the current year for any of the various divisions.
6. National ASA pitcher and player classifications override our Illinois fastpitch classifications.
1. Only rosters submitted on an official ASA national roster form will be recognized. State
or area commissioners may make common sense rulings in case of mailing
problems in regard to roster deadlines.
2. All player memberships will be void after December 31 of each year. They may sign with
any eligible team the following year.
3. Players may sign only one ASA roster for each division of play. Signature on roster
constitutes playing. If a name inadvertently gets on two rosters, the situation must be resolved prior to tournament play. The first signing is recognized by the ASA.
II. FAST PITCH DIVISION RULES